From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:05:10
1 On 03/02/2014 07:37 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Few months ago I have written a small FAQ on how to use slots
5 > and subslots for library dependencies properly [1]. However, today
6 > I see that most of the developers didn't care to properly update their
7 > packages and when I introduced binary compatibility slot in libgcrypt,
8 > I had my hands full of work fixing the mess for a single package.
9 >
10 > Honestly, it's PITA to update and commit a few dozen ebuilds just to
11 > modify a single dependency. Plus sometimes portage's dynamic-deps
12 > no longer work so I'd have to revbump all the packages as well to
13 > be 100% correct. And the sole fact that I'm fixing just one dep when
14 > there's a dozen libraries more that may need fixing in the future...
15 Please carefully consider whether a revbump is unconditionally required
16 for every situation.
17
18 Pinning a dependency to SLOT 0 will be picked up by dynamic-deps, and if
19 the user has it turned off it is likely that more building will be
20 caused by the rebuilds versus the new binary compatibility slot.
21
22 dynamic-deps does not apply to the subslot dependency operator, but
23 revbumping to add it will just cause the user to have to build the
24 package twice - once for the revbump and once when the subslot changes.
27 > So, I'm asking: would you mind if I started taking random packages
28 > and updating the library dependencies (whenever they are clear) to use
29 > slot :0 (in EAPI 1..4) and :0= (in EAPI 5) as appropriate?
30 >
31 > [1]:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/88541
34 For adding an explicit slot after a binary compatibility slot is
35 introduced, I think that is fine. I have been doing that for
36 virtual/jpeg as I come across them (AFAIK no effort was made to fix this
37 when it was introduced) and I have never had any complaints.