From: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
To: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:32:22
1 %% Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o> writes:
2
3 ls> On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 13:44, Paul Smith wrote:
4 >> Hi all;
5 >>
6 >> I'm interested in allowing Portage to install packages into disk areas
7 >> rooted somewhere besides /.
8
9 ls> Try setting the ROOT envvar.
10
11 But this unquestionably won't work: it's quite trivial to find examples
12 of paths in Portage which do not reference any variable, but simply use
13 a string constant fully-qualified path.
14
15 In fact, I gave an example in the email you replied to, from the latest
16 Portage CVS :-) :
17
18 myworld=open("/var/cache/edb/world","w")
19
20 No setting of ROOT can possibly cause this to open any file other than
21 "/var/cache/edb/world". I want it to access the file
22 "$ROOT/var/cache/edb/world" instead.
23
24 There are _many_ such examples in the code, esp. looking for things like
25 "/etc/portage/...".
28 Maybe I should step back a bit and ask, is it the design intent of the
29 $ROOT variable that, if set, it would behave in the way I would like?
30 Where I could keep multiple completely separate images rooted in
31 different directories on a single system?
32
33 If so, then maybe the changes we have made here are better termed bug
34 fixes rather than enhancements. That would be nice :).
35
36 But, I don't think that this is so. It seems to me that $ROOT is
37 supposed to do something different than what I want: there are
38 references to a root variable in the code in some places, but not all
39 places.
40
41 It looks like maybe ROOT allows you to redefine the installation
42 location only, BUT it still uses the Portage database and configuration
43 setup for the "real" system. I need to have multiple completely
44 independent installations with different sets of packages, etc. so I
45 need the EDB, config (make.defaults, etc.) to be found in the ROOT as
46 well.
49 Maybe understanding what ROOT is for would help me with my confusion
50 about the db["/"] vs. db[myroot] question as well.
53 Thanks for the reply!
57 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××××××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
58 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
60 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list