From: david@×××××××××.com
To: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:16:28
1 On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:31:52PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > %% Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > ls> On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 13:44, Paul Smith wrote:
5 > >> Hi all;
6 > >>
7 > >> I'm interested in allowing Portage to install packages into disk areas
8 > >> rooted somewhere besides /.
9 >
10 > ls> Try setting the ROOT envvar.
11 >
12 > But this unquestionably won't work: it's quite trivial to find examples
13 > of paths in Portage which do not reference any variable, but simply use
14 > a string constant fully-qualified path.
15 >
16 > In fact, I gave an example in the email you replied to, from the latest
17 > Portage CVS :-) :
18 >
19 > myworld=open("/var/cache/edb/world","w")
20 >
21 > No setting of ROOT can possibly cause this to open any file other than
22 > "/var/cache/edb/world". I want it to access the file
23 > "$ROOT/var/cache/edb/world" instead.
24
25 actually you are incorrect. It does reference $ROOT/var/cache/edb/world
26 just try it and see.
27 In fact, if you use '$ROOT emerge blah blah' on an empty directory it
28 will create that /var/cache/edb heirarchy for you.
31 > There are _many_ such examples in the code, esp. looking for things like
32 > "/etc/portage/...".
35 IIRC there was a time when the only thing that was read from / and not
36 $ROOT was make.conf
37
38 I think that may have changed, I recall somebody mentioning a patch on IRC.
41 > Maybe I should step back a bit and ask, is it the design intent of the
42 > $ROOT variable that, if set, it would behave in the way I would like?
43 > Where I could keep multiple completely separate images rooted in
44 > different directories on a single system?
45 >
46 > If so, then maybe the changes we have made here are better termed bug
47 > fixes rather than enhancements. That would be nice :).
48 >
49 > But, I don't think that this is so. It seems to me that $ROOT is
50 > supposed to do something different than what I want: there are
51 > references to a root variable in the code in some places, but not all
52 > places.
53 >
54 > It looks like maybe ROOT allows you to redefine the installation
55 > location only, BUT it still uses the Portage database and configuration
56 > setup for the "real" system. I need to have multiple completely
57 > independent installations with different sets of packages, etc. so I
58 > need the EDB, config (make.defaults, etc.) to be found in the ROOT as
59 > well.
62 If you are not cross compiling then you could just take a stage2
63 snapshot from a mirror somewhere, put it in /usr/stage2, then chroot
64 to there, with a fully functional toolchain/system and build to your
65 hearts desire.
68 > Maybe understanding what ROOT is for would help me with my confusion
69 > about the db["/"] vs. db[myroot] question as well.
74 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list