From: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
To: david@×××××××××.com
Cc: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:11:55
1 %% david@×××××××××.com writes:
2
3 >> In fact, I gave an example in the email you replied to, from the latest
4 >> Portage CVS :-) :
5 >>
6 >> myworld=open("/var/cache/edb/world","w")
7 >>
8 >> No setting of ROOT can possibly cause this to open any file other than
9 >> "/var/cache/edb/world". I want it to access the file
10 >> "$ROOT/var/cache/edb/world" instead.
11
12 d> actually you are incorrect. It does reference
13 d> $ROOT/var/cache/edb/world just try it and see.
14
15 Hm. I'm assuming this didn't work for us before (the original work on
16 this was done with a pre-2.0.49 Portage last summer), but I'll try it
17 again with the latest vanilla Portage.
18
19 d> IIRC there was a time when the only thing that was read from / and
20 d> not $ROOT was make.conf
21
22 d> I think that may have changed, I recall somebody mentioning a patch
23 d> on IRC.
24
25 That would need to change in my environment: I need make.conf to be
26 local to the ROOT as well.
29 I'll try it out.
33 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××××××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
34 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
36 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list