From: Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 20:59:08
1 On Sunday 06 May 2007 4:38:16 pm Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 06 May 2007 22:33:55 +0200
3 >
4 > Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
6 > > > On Sun, 6 May 2007 16:00:56 -0400
7 > > >
8 > > > Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > > >>> Er, making elog logged by default would not solve the "requires an
10 > > >>> explicit read" problem. Making elog require an explicit read would
11 > > >>> be far too annoying because most elog notices are noise. We've
12 > > >>> been over this already.
13 > > >>
14 > > >> Not if one filters it properly. ELOG_CLASSES="warn error" sounds
15 > > >> like a sane default to me.
16 > > >
17 > > > So you want users to have to explicitly acknowledge all ewarn
18 > > > notices? Now *that*'s a way of making the system useless by
19 > > > overusing it.
20 > >
21 > > Why would you acknowledge them? They are a different feature (plus,
22 > > seriously no mail gets automagically marked as read, if you use the
23 > > mail elog feature e.g. Maybe you should actually try to use the stuff
24 > > before recycling your 'our experience shows' and 'elog sucks'
25 > > scratched record once again.)
26 >
27 > Maybe you should reread the context I've quoted. Dan is proposing
28 > making elog require explicit acknowledgements.
29
30 Thats news to me. I was proposing using elog where it was logical, you were
31 the one who appended the "explicitly aknowledged" to it.
32 >
33 > > Plus, why's this thread been hijacked again for the paludis upgrade
34 > > stuff that doesn't need any news at all and that's been committed in
35 > > breach of GLEP42 itself?!
36 >
37 > Because some people won't stop looking for any available excuse to rant
38 > about anything that has or can be made to have 'paludis' in it, and
39 > they don't bother to read the rest of the discussion before they do so.
40 >
41 > > - drop this "users like it" and "experience has shown" stuff.
42 > > Experience based on 4 news items is no experience at all; experience
43 > > based on one-package overlay is irrelevant wrt a repository with
44 > > thousands of ebuilds; and "users like it" may be nice for one package
45 > > overlay, and a genuine PITA for a tree with thousands of ebuilds at
46 > > the same time. Repeating it doesn't go anywhere, nor will it make any
47 > > of your point more valid.
48 >
49 > And yet it's infinitely more experience than anyone else has at this
50 > point. When there's a better collection of data available we'll use
51 > that instead.
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list