From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 20:42:37
1 On Sun, 06 May 2007 22:33:55 +0200
2 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
4 > > On Sun, 6 May 2007 16:00:56 -0400
5 > > Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>> Er, making elog logged by default would not solve the "requires an
7 > >>> explicit read" problem. Making elog require an explicit read would
8 > >>> be far too annoying because most elog notices are noise. We've
9 > >>> been over this already.
10 > >> Not if one filters it properly. ELOG_CLASSES="warn error" sounds
11 > >> like a sane default to me.
12 > >
13 > > So you want users to have to explicitly acknowledge all ewarn
14 > > notices? Now *that*'s a way of making the system useless by
15 > > overusing it.
16 >
17 > Why would you acknowledge them? They are a different feature (plus,
18 > seriously no mail gets automagically marked as read, if you use the
19 > mail elog feature e.g. Maybe you should actually try to use the stuff
20 > before recycling your 'our experience shows' and 'elog sucks'
21 > scratched record once again.)
22
23 Maybe you should reread the context I've quoted. Dan is proposing
24 making elog require explicit acknowledgements.
25
26 > Plus, why's this thread been hijacked again for the paludis upgrade
27 > stuff that doesn't need any news at all and that's been committed in
28 > breach of GLEP42 itself?!
29
30 Because some people won't stop looking for any available excuse to rant
31 about anything that has or can be made to have 'paludis' in it, and
32 they don't bother to read the rest of the discussion before they do so.
33
34 > - drop this "users like it" and "experience has shown" stuff.
35 > Experience based on 4 news items is no experience at all; experience
36 > based on one-package overlay is irrelevant wrt a repository with
37 > thousands of ebuilds; and "users like it" may be nice for one package
38 > overlay, and a genuine PITA for a tree with thousands of ebuilds at
39 > the same time. Repeating it doesn't go anywhere, nor will it make any
40 > of your point more valid.
41
42 And yet it's infinitely more experience than anyone else has at this
43 point. When there's a better collection of data available we'll use
44 that instead.
47 Ciaran McCreesh