From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK:2 EOL and incoming migration to GTK:3
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 10:33:58
1 On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 10:22:21 +0000
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > "It does mean, however, that GTK 2 has reached the end of its life.
5 > We will do one final 2.x release in the coming days, and we encourage
6 > everybody to port their GTK 2 applications to GTK 3 or 4."
7
8 I read that as there will be one more gtk2 release and none after that.
9
10 This seems to imply:
11 * When there's a security flaw in gtk2 there won't be a fix from
12 upstream.
13 * When there's an incompatibility with new infrastructure (e.g. new gcc
14 version / new glibc / changing API of libraries gtk depends on) there
15 will be no updates from upstream.
16
17 This means in all those instances maintainers will have to get patches
18 from somewhere. We'll likely end up with some form of
19 gtk-2.x-r[largenumber] with a large patchset at some point.
20 Maintaining that will be an increasing burden.
21
22 No urgency, but a sign to slowly move off gtk2.
25 Hanno Böck
26 https://hboeck.de/