From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: floppym@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tmpfiles virtual
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:23:14
1 On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:11:52PM -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:09 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:23:10 -0600
4 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Hi all,
7 > >>
8 > >> I have been working on splitting the tmpfiles functionality out of
9 > >> OpenRC [1], and I believe the new package is about to enter the tree.
10 > >>
11 > >> OpenRC itself doesn't need this package to boot since it doesn't use
12 > >> tmpfiles.d files, but other software does need it.
13 > >>
14 > >> This brings up a couple of questions.
15 > >>
16 > >> Since we now will have two different ways to process tmpfiles, is
17 > >> virtual/tmpfiles appropriate, with the default being opentmpfiles?
18 > >
19 > > Yes. Virtual will allow us to control list of supported implementations
20 > > easily. We can also use it to control different versions of tmpfiles
21 > > format.
22 > >
23 > >> Once opentmpfiles is in the tree and stable, should virtual/tmpfiles
24 > >> be added to @system, or should we have the packages that need it rdepend
25 > >> on it directly? I tend to lean toward the second option.
26 > >
27 > > We will RDEPEND on it via tmpfiles.eclass. I think floppym has a draft
28 > > somewhere.
29 >
30 > Said draft is on github. It is a work-in-progress that I have not
31 > touched for a few months.
32 >
33 > https://github.com/floppym/gentoo/blob/tmpfiles-eclass/eclass/tmpfiles.eclass
34
35 I like a lot of it, but I'll bring it to the list with a couple of
36 changes.
37
38 Thanks,
39