From: Dawid Weglinski <dawid.weglinski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 06:11:51
1 2018-03-27 18:39 GMT+02:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
4 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:34 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
6 > >>>
7 > >>> It is about openness vs. isolation.
8 > >>
9 > >> I'm pretty sure most developers, myself included, want to welcome
10 > >> contributions.
11 > >
12 > > Closing of the mailing list does not sound like that.
15 > Sure, but it is actually part of the motivation.
16 >
17 > Consider this scenario.
18 >
19 > Fred is a community member. Fred consistently harasses and trolls new
20 > contributors in private. New contributors end up leaving because of
21 > Fred.
24 > Fred gets booted out as a result. No mention is made of why Fred as
25 > booted out, because everything happened in private.
28 And how this work on forums? Do moderators have the ability to ban Fred
29 for his harrasments on private channels?
33 > Now a bunch of community members get upset about Fred being booted out
34 > without reason. Fred claims it is because he disagrees with the
35 > leadership on something. People start arguing endlessly about
36 > openness.
39 Very same efect you will get when Fred is whitelisted by a developer, and
40 kicked out when he starts acting inappriopriate. Please kindly show me the
41 difference.
45 > Ultimately the leaders just want Fred gone so that new contributors
46 > aren't getting driven away. They can't explain that because then they
47 > create potential civil liability for the project. The problem is that
48 > the debate goes on for over a year despite intervening elections and
49 > now this becomes the issue that is driving new contributors away.
52 Please explain. I can imagine a troll on some #gentoo-${ISO3166-1_alpha-2}
53 who
54 is banned by channel operator. Does this create potential civil liability
55 for the project?
59 > What solution would you propose for this problem? It isn't
60 > hypothetical at all - I can think of one case in Gentoo's past where
61 > this happened that I'm aware of, and I'd be shocked if it were the
62 > only one.
65 Saying as an ex-dev and community member by last 12 years - banning trolls
66 and explaining reasons to others is always better solution.
70 > > And anyway, you can be sure that the problem will appear again,
71 > > no matter how closed the list will be.
72 >
73 > Sure, but we can at least force the negative advertising of Gentoo to
74 > go elsewhere, rather than basically paying to run a negative PR
75 > campaign against ourselves.
76 >
77 > >> A lot of this comes down to considering that most people in these
78 > >> debates probably are well-intended.
79 > >
80 > > Taking away freedom is never justified by good intention.
81 >
82 > You might want to choose a BSD-based distro then. :)
83 >
84 > And what about the freedom to endlessly troll and harass you and
85 > others? Is this truly a freedom we want to stand for? How about the
86 > freedom to harass members of legally-protected classes (something that
87 > also has happened historically in the community)?
90 Trolls are trolls, and when banned/blacklisted by default THEN, they will
91 start
92 their trolling on private channels.
96 > Surely Gentoo's mission isn't to run completely unrestricated forums
97 > for discussion of anything and everything. Our main purpose here is
98 > to maintain a Linux distro, not provide a platform for anybody who has
99 > an opinion on anything. Free expression has to be balanced against
100 > the interests of people who want to actually contribute to the distro
101 > without being endlessly trolled and harassed.
102 >
103 > --
104 > Rich
110 Pozdrawiam