From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 16:39:12
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:34 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> It is about openness vs. isolation.
6 >>
7 >> I'm pretty sure most developers, myself included, want to welcome
8 >> contributions.
9 >
10 > Closing of the mailing list does not sound like that.
13 Sure, but it is actually part of the motivation.
14
15 Consider this scenario.
16
17 Fred is a community member. Fred consistently harasses and trolls new
18 contributors in private. New contributors end up leaving because of
19 Fred.
20
21 Fred gets booted out as a result. No mention is made of why Fred as
22 booted out, because everything happened in private.
23
24 Now a bunch of community members get upset about Fred being booted out
25 without reason. Fred claims it is because he disagrees with the
26 leadership on something. People start arguing endlessly about
27 openness.
28
29 Ultimately the leaders just want Fred gone so that new contributors
30 aren't getting driven away. They can't explain that because then they
31 create potential civil liability for the project. The problem is that
32 the debate goes on for over a year despite intervening elections and
33 now this becomes the issue that is driving new contributors away.
34
35 What solution would you propose for this problem? It isn't
36 hypothetical at all - I can think of one case in Gentoo's past where
37 this happened that I'm aware of, and I'd be shocked if it were the
38 only one.
39
40 > And anyway, you can be sure that the problem will appear again,
41 > no matter how closed the list will be.
42
43 Sure, but we can at least force the negative advertising of Gentoo to
44 go elsewhere, rather than basically paying to run a negative PR
45 campaign against ourselves.
46
47 >> A lot of this comes down to considering that most people in these
48 >> debates probably are well-intended.
49 >
50 > Taking away freedom is never justified by good intention.
51
52 You might want to choose a BSD-based distro then. :)
53
54 And what about the freedom to endlessly troll and harass you and
55 others? Is this truly a freedom we want to stand for? How about the
56 freedom to harass members of legally-protected classes (something that
57 also has happened historically in the community)?
58
59 Surely Gentoo's mission isn't to run completely unrestricated forums
60 for discussion of anything and everything. Our main purpose here is
61 to maintain a Linux distro, not provide a platform for anybody who has
62 an opinion on anything. Free expression has to be balanced against
63 the interests of people who want to actually contribute to the distro
64 without being endlessly trolled and harassed.
67 Rich