From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 02:21:27
1 On 27/03/18 17:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:34 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
5 >>>> It is about openness vs. isolation.
6 >>> I'm pretty sure most developers, myself included, want to welcome
7 >>> contributions.
8 >> Closing of the mailing list does not sound like that.
9 >>
10 > Sure, but it is actually part of the motivation.
11 >
12 > Consider this scenario.
13 >
14 > Fred is a community member. Fred consistently harasses and trolls new
15 > contributors in private. New contributors end up leaving because of
16 > Fred.
17 >
18 > Fred gets booted out as a result. No mention is made of why Fred as
19 > booted out, because everything happened in private.
20 >
21 > Now a bunch of community members get upset about Fred being booted out
22 > without reason. Fred claims it is because he disagrees with the
23 > leadership on something. People start arguing endlessly about
24 > openness.
25 >
26 > Ultimately the leaders just want Fred gone so that new contributors
27 > aren't getting driven away. They can't explain that because then they
28 > create potential civil liability for the project. The problem is that
29 > the debate goes on for over a year despite intervening elections and
30 > now this becomes the issue that is driving new contributors away.
31 >
32 > What solution would you propose for this problem? It isn't
33 > hypothetical at all - I can think of one case in Gentoo's past where
34 > this happened that I'm aware of, and I'd be shocked if it were the
35 > only one.
36 >
37 >> And anyway, you can be sure that the problem will appear again,
38 >> no matter how closed the list will be.
39 > Sure, but we can at least force the negative advertising of Gentoo to
40 > go elsewhere, rather than basically paying to run a negative PR
41 > campaign against ourselves.
42 >
43 >>> A lot of this comes down to considering that most people in these
44 >>> debates probably are well-intended.
45 >> Taking away freedom is never justified by good intention.
46 > You might want to choose a BSD-based distro then. :)
47 >
48 > And what about the freedom to endlessly troll and harass you and
49 > others? Is this truly a freedom we want to stand for? How about the
50 > freedom to harass members of legally-protected classes (something that
51 > also has happened historically in the community)?
52 >
53 > Surely Gentoo's mission isn't to run completely unrestricated forums
54 > for discussion of anything and everything. Our main purpose here is
55 > to maintain a Linux distro, not provide a platform for anybody who has
56 > an opinion on anything. Free expression has to be balanced against
57 > the interests of people who want to actually contribute to the distro
58 > without being endlessly trolled and harassed.
59 >
60 It sounds a lot to me like you're replacing one set of problems with
61 another .. solving not a lot. Whether you take action on "Fred" or not,
62 you're going to lose out, so what do you do... Where is the greater
63 damage, with one/two people, 10/20 people or 100/200 people .. its a
64 huge value judgement - certainly not one I'd like to make!
65
66 You may or may not have heard the expression "throwing out the baby with
67 the bathwater" .. alas I feel this measure is a good example of this. To
68 try to rid the mailing list of one or two bad apples, you've cut the
69 whole tree down so it can't bear fruit. I think this is a foolish step,
70 but only time will tell that for sure ... The next "logical" step would
71 simply be to delete the whole mailing list - I suppose that's the next
72 "measure" when the trolling from white-listed members resurfaces.... And
73 don't go telling me it doesn't exist .. set a bad example, others will
74 surely follow ...
75
76 Ooops, another $2 spent on a lost cause .. >,<