From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 02:55:34
1 I really do hate discussing this. I will pray for Gentoo, friends, as
2 I hope the distribution continues to receive useful contributions.
5 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 > Now a bunch of community members get upset about Fred being booted out
7 > without reason. Fred claims it is because he disagrees with the
8 > leadership on something. People start arguing endlessly about
9 > openness.
12 Explain why the user was removed.
13
14 > Ultimately the leaders just want Fred gone so that new contributors
15 > aren't getting driven away. They can't explain that because then they
16 > create potential civil liability for the project. The problem is that
17 > the debate goes on for over a year despite intervening elections and
18 > now this becomes the issue that is driving new contributors away.
21 This is insane. If they sue produce the emails. At least in the US,
22 the suit will be thrown out, as truth is a defense to defamation.
23
24 If I am not a lawyer and as such can not understand the law and my
25 opinion should not be trusted, then, as I assume you are not a lawyer,
26 your opinion should not be trusted either. Even if you have consulted
27 with a lawyer you are not a lawyer and there is no reason to believe
28 you could have understood what the lawyer told you.
29
30 I do not present this as sophistry: for any progress to be made in the
31 discussion of your hypothetical situation I sincerely think you need
32 to consider the above. At what point is one's knowledge of the law
33 enough to act within society?
34
35 > What solution would you propose for this problem? It isn't
36 > hypothetical at all - I can think of one case in Gentoo's past where
37 > this happened that I'm aware of, and I'd be shocked if it were the
38 > only one.
41 Stop using the law as a boogeyman.
42
43 Be transparent in why decisions were made. There are no legal concerns
44 save fair use (the copyright of any published emails) and the
45 publication of private facts.[1] For a tort involving the disclosure
46 of public facts, you would need to have no reason to publish those
47 facts save for the damage they could cause. You may also need to
48 publish them in a manner far more public than a Linux distribution
49 mailing list.
52 To continue the example I doubt anyone would care if it was just a
53 single Fred, though they may be slightly put off. Multiple Fred (or
54 related) incidents later it would seem rather strange.
55
56 As I have tried to explain my issue with the closure of the mailing
57 list is not the removal of a user, but the lack of openness with which
58 decisions are made. Points are brought up in good faith and then
59 ignored. Requests for clarification may not be greeted amicably.
60 Overall, this makes it seem like the closure of the development list
61 is to keep decisions from being questioned. If there were hecklers
62 asking stupid questions that would be one thing, but that is not what
63 it looks like to me.
66 I will note most developers go quietly about maintaining their charges
67 and make reasonable decisions.
68
69 Cheers,
70 R0b0t1