From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:23:02
1 On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:14:49 -0500
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I face funroll-loops references and worse almost every time I bring up
5 > Gentoo among a different group of Linux-familiar technical people.
6 > There are still *very* strong prejudices against Gentoo in most places
7
8 Comparing Gentoo to "binary" Linux distros is simply using the wrong
9 analogy. I use Gentoo/Linux the way other people use some BSD with
10 ports - this is where Gentoo stands out, and compiler flags have little
11 to do with it. Build time configuration does. You pick a development
12 base, build and install packages you want on top of that, and you end
13 up running a stable system for years that is relatively easy to patch
14 up as and when needed.
15
16 The difference between many other ports-like distros and Gentoo is that
17 it is usually very well possible to do rolling upgrades and we make
18 that difference by ensuring a neverending progression from unstable to
19 stable, instead of calling a freeze every so often and picking up new
20 developments for future "stable" releases.
21
22 > I've brought it up. But when I bring it up, and I argue against those
23 > funroll-loops references, one or two people come out of lurking and
24 > admit that they use it...and it's a surprise to people around them.
25
26 There you go! Just explain that compiler optimisation is not the reason
27 you use it. Then you should have their attention and you can start to
28 explain the actual reasons you use it. It may make them feel rather
29 stupid about the "plonk in the CD and roll with it" attitude that they
30 must have picked up from some antiquated locked-down distro[1]. :)
31
32 > I've started describing it as a "coming out of the closet" experience
33 > for a reason... There's a _serious_ reputation issue that Gentoo still
34 > hasn't completely sloughed off...which is incredibly sad.
35
36 The same reputation issue that FreeBSD and OpenBSD have, no doubt.
37
38 > :wq
39
40 There is an app for that:
41 alias :wq='echo "OK, I quit!"'
44 jer
47 [1] Heck, nowadays even Windows and Mac OS X support several ports-like
48 source-based software distros, despite sandboxed, walled-gardened
49 "app stores" for people who find it easier to pay for stuff than to
50 wonder how to get the software they need for free. And that's
51 entirely fair: it's a design/implementation decision everyone has
52 to make according to their own needs, expectations, limitations and
53 experience.