From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 19:15:33
1 On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 16 December 2012 16:57, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Inspired by the number of packages being unmaintained -- why not use
4 >> some of that bug bounty money to fix up the recruitment documentation
5 >
6 > Recruitment documentatiob? What does that mean?
7 >
8 >> People still think of Gentoo as a ricer distro that's broken all
9 >> the time, when in reality, it's one of the most stable.
10 >
11 > Well that's not entirely true but that's a different issue
12
13 What's not really true? That it's the most stable? or that people
14 think of it as a ricer distro?
15
16 I face funroll-loops references and worse almost every time I bring up
17 Gentoo among a different group of Linux-familiar technical people.
18 There are still *very* strong prejudices against Gentoo in most places
19 I've brought it up. But when I bring it up, and I argue against those
20 funroll-loops references, one or two people come out of lurking and
21 admit that they use it...and it's a surprise to people around them.
22
23 I've started describing it as a "coming out of the closet" experience
24 for a reason... There's a _serious_ reputation issue that Gentoo still
25 hasn't completely sloughed off...which is incredibly sad. Of all the
26 distros I've used, I've come to the conclusion that Gentoo is the
27 easily nicest for almost anyone even moderately technical.
30 :wq