From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 19:05:12
1 On 16 December 2012 16:57, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Inspired by the number of packages being unmaintained -- why not use
3 > some of that bug bounty money to fix up the recruitment documentation
4
5 Recruitment documentatiob? What does that mean?
6
7 > People still think of Gentoo as a ricer distro that's broken all
8 > the time, when in reality, it's one of the most stable.
9
10 Well that's not entirely true but that's a different issue
11
12 > would suspect that anything has changed, though, since the
13 > homepage hasn't since before I could drink beer.
14 >
15 > It makes the entire distro look unmaintained.
16 Note quite. The activity of a distro is measure but the # of devs,
17 packages in tree, activity on bugzilla and mailing lists etc. The
18 design of a website does not
19 really say much. Many foss projects still have static html pages. This
20 does not mean they are dead.
21
22 The pr@ team recently did a survey for the website etc. You may want
23 to ask them what happened and what's their plan.
24 >
25 > 2. Nowhere is it actually spelled out how to become a developer.
26 > Let's google "how to become a gentoo developer." This takes me
27 > to...
28 >
29 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
30 >
31 > which as far as I know, is complete bullshit. I should look for an
32 > opening in the monthly newsletter? Really? Or in #gentoo-bugs?
33 Parts of this docs are outdated but this does not matter. Get
34 involved, fix bugs, help people and someone will ask you to join. Or
35 look for a mentor.
38 > 3. Get off CVS for Christ's sake. Nobody wants to work with that. I
39 > don't know how this fits into my bullet list, but it's important.
40 >
41 I believe this is Irrelevant
42
43 > All three of those problems are boring and will suck to fix -- perfect
44 > candidates for bug bounties.
45
46 I don't like the attitude "pay in order to happen". This is a foss
47 project, so people are supposed to
48 see this as a hobby or a learning experience. It is not a job ;)
49 Things are supposed to happen because they are fun
52 Regards,
53 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2