From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Policy for bugs because of CFLAGS (was: use flags)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:01:34
1 On Thursday 11 November 2004 06:58 pm, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Seesh. You're right. I was talking about CFLAGS. Now, is there a policy for
3 > "standard accepted safe CFLAGS" ? I know, it is my problem, if something
4 > really breaks. But I have really a lot of apps running with my (not too
5 > esoteric) settings, and if one single app fails badly (just core dumps) and
6 > I can track it down to a single CFLAG flag, what is the actual policy (if
7 > there is one)? Why is a filter for the flag just recected?
8
9 no policy really
10
11 generally if the user is using extended (read: stupid) CFLAGS, developers may
12 tell them to fix their CFLAGS
13
14 if a package can be found to blow up while using one flag regardless of the
15 rest of the CFLAG settings (except for perhaps -O#), then generally we
16 flag-filter it
17
18 policy ? none
19 too much policy makes jack a dull boy; dull boys dont get girls; no girls
20 means no kids; poor jack dies alone and his seed does not live on
21 -mike
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list