From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Policy for bugs because of CFLAGS (was: use flags)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:58:18
1 Hi Ciaran,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4
5 > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:49:42 +0100 Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
6 > wrote:
7 > | please let me know, since when do we have a bug policy for "standard
8 > | accepted safe use flags"? I don't expect any developer to test a
9 > | variety of different use flags, but what if a user reports, that a
10 > | package is seriously broken because of a use flag? In former times a
11 > | critical flag was just filtered out in the ebuild, but why is such a
12 > | thing fix now rejected ?
13 >
14 [snip]
15 >
16 > If you mean CFLAGS, you won't have any problems if you stick with a nice
17 > sane set (on the rare occasions when sensible CFLAGS do cause problems,
18 > they're generally filtered). If you use stupid CFLAGS, expect things to
19 > break. Anyone using -ffast-math globally, for example, deserves
20 > everything they get...
23 Seesh. You're right. I was talking about CFLAGS. Now, is there a policy for
24 "standard accepted safe CFLAGS" ? I know, it is my problem, if something
25 really breaks. But I have really a lot of apps running with my (not too
26 esoteric) settings, and if one single app fails badly (just core dumps) and
27 I can track it down to a single CFLAG flag, what is the actual policy (if
28 there is one)? Why is a filter for the flag just recected?
29
30 - Jörg
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list