From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Policy for bugs because of CFLAGS (was: use flags)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:40:45
1 On Friday 12 November 2004 00:58, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Seesh. You're right. I was talking about CFLAGS. Now, is there a policy
3 > for "standard accepted safe CFLAGS" ? I know, it is my problem, if
4 > something really breaks. But I have really a lot of apps running with
5 > my (not too esoteric) settings, and if one single app fails badly (just
6 > core dumps) and I can track it down to a single CFLAG flag, what is the
7 > actual policy (if there is one)? Why is a filter for the flag just
8 > recected?
9
10 One thing that I use as baseline is that if "info gcc" says that it is not
11 safe (such as -ffast-math, -fno-rtti, -fnoexceptions and various others).
12 Many of these optimization options are application specific and should be
13 set by the upstream build scripts. In other words, filtering away to
14 avoid compiler bugs is something I'm willing to do, filtering away stupid
15 defaults is not.
16
17 Paul
20 Paul de Vrieze