From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Policy for bugs because of CFLAGS (was: use flags)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:55:48
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 12 November 2004 00:58, Jörg Schaible wrote:
4 >> Seesh. You're right. I was talking about CFLAGS. Now, is there a policy
5 >> for "standard accepted safe CFLAGS" ? I know, it is my problem, if
6 >> something really breaks. But I have really a lot of apps running with
7 >> my (not too esoteric) settings, and if one single app fails badly (just
8 >> core dumps) and I can track it down to a single CFLAG flag, what is the
9 >> actual policy (if there is one)? Why is a filter for the flag just
10 >> recected?
11 >
12 > One thing that I use as baseline is that if "info gcc" says that it is not
13 > safe (such as -ffast-math, -fno-rtti, -fnoexceptions and various others).
14 > Many of these optimization options are application specific and should be
15 > set by the upstream build scripts. In other words, filtering away to
16 > avoid compiler bugs is something I'm willing to do, filtering away stupid
17 > defaults is not.
18
19 OK, fine with me. But for the standard ones (turned on by -Os, -O1, -O2)
20 this should be not the problem.
21
22 - Jörg
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list