From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:20:19
1 Caleb Tennis posted
2 <63052.69.136.169.173.1144147119.squirrel@××××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 04 Apr 2006 06:38:39 -0400:
4
5 > I think historically we were much more bleeding edge with our stable KDE
6 > versions than at the moment, but if you've spent any significant time
7 > playing with 3.5.0 or 3.5.1, I think you would agree that they are
8 > terribly less stable than 3.4.3. But in a few weeks I think 3.5.2 will be
9 > stable and it will all be behind us.
10
11 I have, and it seems decently stable here. (Well, there's that expat
12 upgrade like a day after I had finished compiling 3.5.2, but some things
13 can't be helped and that upgrade would kill 3.4.x as well, if I'm not
14 mistaken -- may I suggest a KDE 3.5 and the expat upgrade go stable
15 together?) In general, however, fairly stable.
16
17 However, part of that may well be that I'm running ~amd64, not x86, with
18 its many sub-archs hardware-wise and the problems some of them have. As
19 amd64 is fairly new, there are only a couple of hardware subarchs for it
20 yet, and they are quite compatible, so stuff generally either works for
21 everyone or noone. I've learned that I can safely comment out many of the
22 calls to stripflags or filterflags, as often, the condition they are
23 correcting for doesn't affect amd64, yet unfortunately, the calls aren't
24 conditioned on arch as they would be in a perfect world with access to
25 full testing on all archs right away.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
31 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list