From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 17:37:11
1 On Monday 05 April 2010 21:51:34 Nathan Zachary wrote:
2 > On 05/04/10 11:07, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:50:49AM +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:
4 > >> Just replying randomly.
5 > >>
6 > >> On 05.04.2010 04:33, Tobias Heinlein wrote:
7 > >>> I think this is a good starting point to get rid of the "some important
8 > >>> questions are too hard to answer" dilemma that can be implemented
9 > >>> relatively fast. On top of that I like Sebastian's idea to order the
10 > >>> quizzes by difficulty -- this means just ordering by the categories I
11 > >>> just mentioned would be sufficient: 1 first, then 2, then 3.
12 > >>
13 > >> I am not against this idea but frankly, I do not understand what is so
14 > >> demotivating about the ebuild quiz. If you get demotivated because of a
15 > >> single exam, perhaps the problem is with the motivation and not with the
16 > >> exam itself. I took the published quiz just for the fun of it and to
17 > >> see where I missed. It is not that long.
18 > >
19 > > Agreed...
20 > >
21 > > I've been following this discussion with mixed feelings. When we
22 > > originally began using the quiz system the idea was simply to try
23 > > to force new developers to RTFM -- and I was not such a fan of the
24 > > entire concept (as I recall, the quizzes were a "suggestion" from
25 > > Daniel).
26 > >
27 > > As it turns out, the quiz system has repeatedly proven itself useful
28 > > in another way: developers who whine/bitch/moan and are hesitant to
29 > > even attempt to complete the quizzes often turn out to be bitchy,
30 > > unmotivated, or unpleasant developers. I don't want to name any names,
31 > > but I've seen this often.
32 > >
33 > > IMO, those "boring" "too much like high school" quizzes serve one
34 > > extremely valuable function: finding out up front who's a team player
35 > > (or at least willing to do something mildly unpleasant for the
36 > > Greater Good)
37 > >
38 > > If that's causing potential devs to drop out... perhaps the system is
39 > > working as it should? :)
40 >
41 > My problem with the quizzes is not that they have to be done, but rather
42 > the way they are structured. I have read through the dev manual (which
43 > is excellent in explaining some things, and a little rough in others),
44 > but it would be much more enlightening to me to work on creating ebuilds
45 > while working one-on-one with a mentor. For instance, in a recent
46 > ebuild I wrote, the application installed successfully but yielded
47 > sandbox errors. By jumping on IRC and chatting with a few people, I
48 > readily found a solution to that problem. Later, it was brought to my
49 > attention that there were other problems with the ebuild. I would have
50 > never known about these issues solely from the information presented in
51 > the devmanual. Therefore, I think the most valuable aspect of the
52 > recruitment process is "hands-on" time with ebuilds, commits, et cetera
53 > WHILE working with a mentor.
54 >
55 > --Zach
56 This is why it is good to train "wanna-be" developers in our overlays.
57 Studying and blindly answering the quizzes is not enough. They have to work on
58 actuall ebuilds, dealing with as many eclasses as possible and handle all kind
59 of bugs in our bugzilla. In other words, recruitment must not be one-
60 dimensional but it has to cover all aspects of gentoo development
61 --
62 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
63 Gentoo Linux Developer
64 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org