From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enemy Territory Strikes Back
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:00:00
1 On Wednesday 08 October 2003 22:42, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 08 October 2003 13:22, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 08 October 2003 21:22, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
4 > > > -- Will this licence check now serve as the default method of handling
5 > > > EULA's for future licenced games?
6 > >
7 > > I'm wondering about this for all software. In my installation and upgrade
8 > > of Gentoo, I've never seen anything telling me that I have to accept X
9 > > license to use Y software. If there has been, it has been barely
10 > > noticable.
11 > >
12 > > I think that forcing users to accept licenses is a Good Thing. Once a
13 > > license is accepted it should not be reconfirmed for every piece of
14 > > software that falls under it, of course. However, I do think that at a
15 > > minimum a banner should be shown stating what license a piece of software
16 > > falls under.
17 >
18 > Why is the license important to the average user? The license can't take
19 > away any rights given to you by law. The only time the average user needs
20 > to concern themselves with a license is where the license grants them extra
21 > rights - the most important one concerning gentoo is allowing
22 > redistribution, which would otherwise by prohibited by copyright law.
23 > Unless you are running a gentoo mirror, or actually developing for the code
24 > in question, the license is mostly irrelevant. Besides, there are hundreds
25 > of licenses in
26 > /usr/portages/licenses, do you really want to have to click y for every
27 > single one?
28
29 Well, the only time a user needs to concerned with a GPL/LGPL is when
30 programming in which case the license is stamped all over the source code.
31 But what about the other "hundreds of licenses"? Do any of those limit the
32 rights of the user? Even so, I still think it would be a good idea to at
33 least have a banner stating what license the user is assumed to have accepted
34 when installing software.
35
36 Regards,
37 Jason