From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enemy Territory Strikes Back
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:42:35
1 On Wednesday 08 October 2003 13:22, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 08 October 2003 21:22, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
3 > > -- Will this licence check now serve as the default method of handling
4 > > EULA's for future licenced games?
5 >
6 > I'm wondering about this for all software. In my installation and upgrade
7 > of Gentoo, I've never seen anything telling me that I have to accept X
8 > license to use Y software. If there has been, it has been barely noticable.
9 >
10 > I think that forcing users to accept licenses is a Good Thing. Once a
11 > license is accepted it should not be reconfirmed for every piece of
12 > software that falls under it, of course. However, I do think that at a
13 > minimum a banner should be shown stating what license a piece of software
14 > falls under.
15 >
16 > Regards,
17 > Jason
18
19 Why is the license important to the average user? The license can't take away
20 any rights given to you by law. The only time the average user needs to
21 concern themselves with a license is where the license grants them extra
22 rights - the most important one concerning gentoo is allowing redistribution,
23 which would otherwise by prohibited by copyright law. Unless you are running
24 a gentoo mirror, or actually developing for the code in question, the license
25 is mostly irrelevant. Besides, there are hundreds of licenses in
26 /usr/portages/licenses, do you really want to have to click y for every
27 single one?
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list