From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: improve file system mounting and unmounting in OpenRC
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 21:36:59
1 All,
2
3 This is my previous post, added on the right thread this time.
4
5 as I have always said, my views can evolve with civil discussion, and
6 there has been some good feedback on this.
7
8 I also got a suggestion for handling network file systems that would mean we
9 wouldn't have to keep track of the specific clients needed to mount
10 network file systems; we could let the distros tell us what the network
11 file system types are and which services should be started to support
12 them.
13
14 Look at the new-netmount branch for that. Basically it would be a series
15 of files in a directory which would have the name of a filesystem type
16 as their file name, then inside each file, the name of the service that
17 supports them.
18
19 The point of debate I suppose is the dependency type that should be used
20 for these. On the branch it is use, which requires you to add the
21 appropriate service to the runlevel netmount is in, but some want it to
22 be want once it is implemented.
23
24 Also, I want to talk more about netmount and localmount failing.
25
26 If netmount and localmount are set up to fail if one of the file systems
27 they mount fails (which is what other init systems out there do), the
28 sys admin can control whether the mount -a command cares about the
29 status of specific file systems by adding nofail to the mount options in
30 fstab. By default it would care, but if you add nofail to the mount
31 options, you would affectively tell mount -a to not be concerned about
32 whether the mount succeeds or not.
33
34 Thoughts?
35