From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: improve file system mounting and unmounting in OpenRC
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 22:23:20
1 William Hubbs posted on Thu, 06 Aug 2015 16:36:49 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Also, I want to talk more about netmount and localmount failing.
4 >
5 > If netmount and localmount are set up to fail if one of the file systems
6 > they mount fails (which is what other init systems out there do), the
7 > sys admin can control whether the mount -a command cares about the
8 > status of specific file systems by adding nofail to the mount options in
9 > fstab. By default it would care, but if you add nofail to the mount
10 > options, you would affectively tell mount -a to not be concerned about
11 > whether the mount succeeds or not.
12
13 [As my previous replies were concerned with this and suggested more
14 complicated solutions...]
15
16 I like it. =:^)
17
18 The nofail option is mount/fstab native, so it's "the proper way(tm)" and
19 already documented at their level.
20
21 The one catch is that since it's a change from current localmount/netmount
22 behavior, the upgrade guide should point it out, and a news item pointing
23 it out is effectively mandatory. In the upgrade guide (presumably on the
24 wiki), I'd make it warning level, making it stand out. Similarly, in the
25 news item, I'd consider making it a separate paragraph, introduced with
26 *** WARNING *** or similar.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman