From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: improve file system mounting and unmounting in OpenRC
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 00:07:56
1 > On Aug 6, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > William Hubbs posted on Thu, 06 Aug 2015 16:36:49 -0500 as excerpted:
4 >
5 >> Also, I want to talk more about netmount and localmount failing.
6 >>
7 >> If netmount and localmount are set up to fail if one of the file systems
8 >> they mount fails (which is what other init systems out there do), the
9 >> sys admin can control whether the mount -a command cares about the
10 >> status of specific file systems by adding nofail to the mount options in
11 >> fstab. By default it would care, but if you add nofail to the mount
12 >> options, you would affectively tell mount -a to not be concerned about
13 >> whether the mount succeeds or not.
14 >
15 > [As my previous replies were concerned with this and suggested more
16 > complicated solutions...]
17 >
18 > I like it. =:^)
19 >
20 > The nofail option is mount/fstab native, so it's "the proper way(tm)" and
21 > already documented at their level.
22 >
23 > The one catch is that since it's a change from current localmount/netmount
24 > behavior, the upgrade guide should point it out, and a news item pointing
25 > it out is effectively mandatory. In the upgrade guide (presumably on the
26 > wiki), I'd make it warning level, making it stand out. Similarly, in the
27 > news item, I'd consider making it a separate paragraph, introduced with
28 > *** WARNING *** or similar.
31 Can we get "nofail" immediately in the mount -a variants of localmount/netmount and expand that in netmount to make the nfsclient dep be a "use" or a "need" depending on if it's set or not?? That would imo kill the existing bug that started all of this too.
35 > --
36 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
37 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
38 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman