From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:26:53
1 On 10/30/05, Michiel de Bruijne <m.debruijne@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 October 2005 10:06, Wernfried Haas wrote:
3 > > 4) Forums. We have the News and Announcements box on the forums and we
4 > > will set sticky threads upon request. In fact we even stick threads
5 > > and posts announcements if we encounter something worth mentioning
6 > > in our opinion. Since we may not notice everything feel free to
7 > > contact us in case you have some information worth sharing.
8 >
9 > 5) Make important news available in the tree just like GLSA's. With emerge
10 > --news you can see the relevant newsitems based on your installed packages
11 > just like emerge --security (future portage version?).
12
13 /signed, :)
14
15 The emerge --news is quite worth considering, and on p.g.o, stuart
16 mentioned having emerge to produce outputs like this after a sync:
17
18 <quote>
19 # emerge sync
20 <Portage syncs the tree>
21
22 * Important: 3 config files in /etc need updating.
23 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.
24
25 * Important: there are 5 unread news items.
26 * Type emerge --news to read news about changes to Gentoo.
27 </quote>
28
29 which I think is also a brilliant idea.
30
31 Just my .02 USD as a user.
32
33 -- Joe
36 There are 3 kinds of people in the world:
37 Those who can count, and those who can't.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list