From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Status of GLEP 16
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 13:09:23
1 On Sun, 2 May 2004 14:43:19 +0200 Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
2 wrote:
3 | On Saturday 01 May 2004 16:10, Brandon Hale wrote:
4 | > > * domenu[12_] has to be included in portage to be used by the
5 | > > ebuilds to install a desktop entry
6 | > Also, from further discussions with foser on the topic, I get the
7 | > impression that the idea is to throw the current ability to edit the
8 | > menu to my taste out the window and go for a menu generated
9 | > completely by .desktop items.
10 |
11 | If this is really the case I'm all against the proposal. Easily
12 | generated menus desktop icons or whatever is great for Joe Average or
13 | else he won't find the apps but this MUST NOT (see RFC2119) make it
14 | impossible for me to edit my menus the way I want.
15
16 Well... The way I'm planning to implement it for fluxbox is to have a
17 [Gentoo Menu] (or something) submenu off the main right click menu. This
18 would be implemented by adding a line roughly like the following to the
19 default fluxbox menu (syntax may be different if fluxgen's new code
20 works):
21
22 [pipe] (Gentoo Menu) {gentoo-commonbox-menu-thingie.py --fluxbox}
23
24 and patching fluxbox-generate_menu to include said line by default. No
25 desktop icons, obviously, because fluxbox doesn't support them.
28 Ciaran McCreesh, Gentoo XMLcracy Member G03X276
29 (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes)
30 Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm