From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo activity graphs
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:17:33
1 Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net> posted 44AFA193.9000503@×××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:14:11 +0200:
3
4 > Alin Nastac wrote:
5 >> Until a year ago, the number of active devs was linearly rising, but in
6 >> last year we seem to hit a ceil (175)
7 >
8 > Was it on planet.g.o where i read something about Dunbar's number[1]? A
9 > highly interesting subject and it might be possible that the
10 > "Monkeyspheres" of Gentoo devs do not overlap sufficiently.
11 >
12 > There is only one solution to this problem: You need to go out and get
13 > drunk together! ;)
14 >
15 > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number
16
17 'Twas on this list IIRC, perhaps a week ago.
18
19 An interesting observation was that of all the FLOSS projects, perhaps
20 only Debian had successfully crossed the line from "medium" to "large".
21 It does seem common around here to criticise them for constant politics
22 and being almost stuck, sometimes, but that's one thing they've done that
23 few others have managed. Whatever their problems, they must be doing
24 /something/ that works.
25
26 That of course leads to the question of when and how they did it. It was
27 before my time in FLOSS I believe, but perhaps something can be learned by
28 going back and examining the Debian history at that time. Did they nudge
29 it for awhile and then something changed and they were suddenly able to
30 expand, or did they cross the 200 developer line as if it wasn't there?
31 If the former, perhaps we can learn from what changed. If the latter, it
32 might be tougher.
33
34 Then there's the question of whether it's even worth it on the merits.
35 Certainly, it would seem Gentoo has a higher efficiency level, doing with
36 <200 roughly what it takes them >2000 (I believe) to do. Sure, they
37 aren't as limited, but >10 times? Hardly!
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list