From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo activity graphs
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:40:41
1 On Sunday 09 July 2006 01:10, Duncan wrote:
2 > An interesting observation was that of all the FLOSS projects, perhaps
3 > only Debian had successfully crossed the line from "medium" to "large".
4 > It does seem common around here to criticise them for constant politics
5 > and being almost stuck, sometimes, but that's one thing they've done that
6 > few others have managed.
7 Yes but at the same time they have maintainers that often does not know what
8 their work is, and screw things up very bad (unstable and experimental are
9 what they call them, but really a bit of user-caring wouldn't be bad from
10 their part).
11 Examples at hand? Amarok 1.4.0 was added with ruby as "suggested dependency"
12 that resulted in lots of users in #amarok to ask why lyrics didn't work.
13 Amarok 1.4.1 seems to have been added with the same error, and without the
14 properly patched xine-lib to play flac files (that I tried to advertise as
15 much as I could).
16
17 So I'm not sure if what they do, their policies and the quizzes and the other
18 stuff they require to "join debian" work. Most likely they work to discourage
19 people more interested in actual work than bureaucracy.
22 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
23 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE