From: Duncan Coutts <dcoutts@g.o>
To: j.romildo@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Scheme herd team needs some love
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:56:48
1 On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 06:47 -0300, j.romildo@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:33:15PM -0500, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
3 >
4 > > If you have an interest in Scheme and the Gentoo project, I encourage
5 > > you to go through the new developer process and start maintaining
6 > > these Scheme ebuilds.
7 >
8 > I am interested in Scheme and the Gentoo project, but I am not a
9 > developer. As was posted on the latest GWN, maybe it would be a good
10 > idea to enter the recruiting process so that I would become a developer
11 > and help the scheme herd.
12 >
13 > I am a professor at the Computer Science department of an university on
14 > my country. As a professor I have interests on programming languages, in
15 > particular, functional programming languages.
16
17 Yay! :-)
18
19 We can always do with more people with an interest in functional
20 programming languages.
21
22 We have fairly strong Haskell and Caml teams but seem to be quite short
23 on people interested in the untyped lisp-like functional languages.
24
25 > Currently I am at the end of a compiler construction course, and next
26 > I will start teaching an Object Oriented Programming course to
27 > Computer Science undergraduates.
28
29 I also teach FP, compilers and OOP to undergraduates :-)
30
31 > I hope I qualify to the "job".
32
33 So you've clearly got great credentials. The process to qualify involves
34 learning a lot about how Gentoo works, including management, ebuilds,
35 portage, cvs and bug tracking.
36
37 As others have said, the best way to start is to look at fixing some
38 open bugs or contributing new ebuilds.
39
40 You'll want to take a look at the Gentoo developer handbook:
41 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml
42
43 In particular here is the section on becoming a developer:
44 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
48 Duncan Coutts : Gentoo Developer (Haskell team lead)
49 email : dcoutts at gentoo dot org
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list