From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 04:35:52
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> In my original email, I also suggested this solution, but it seems
4 >> that nobody
5 >> read it:
6 >> ] Alternatively, follow the example of any ebuild that uses a dated
7 >> ] patchset, and just have the date of the patchset in the ebuild, and
8 >> only
9 >> ] increment $PR singly.
10 >>
11 >> This solution already exists in MANY places in the tree, and should
12 >> probably be
13 >> preferred over the long $PR or $RC values.
14 >
15 > Yeah, except revisions are supposed to be for changes to ebuild code,
16 > not upstream code.
17 >
18 > This gets problematic for people trying to report bugs to upstream,
19 > because they and upstream have no idea what code they're actually running.
20 >
21 > Thanks,
22 > Donnie
23
24 +1
25
26 I agree -r# is for ebuild changes not code changes. I remember a while
27 back Portage would constantly use -r# instead of a 4th number and we
28 worked at that to change that behavior since it was firmly established
29 that -r# was for ebuild changes only. Not bumps in the code.
32 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
33 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/