From: Tibor Rudas <a9101556@××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] just a little feedback...
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:50:12
1 Hi
2
3 Here is the feedback I promised:
4
5 - thanks for the help with yp/nis but alas it didn't work. the +:::...
6 entries did not help but switching from pam_pwdb.so to pam_unix...
7 did... I guess I'll have to have a closer look at the pam & nis docs...;)
8
9 - lately I am experiencing great difficulties in doing an install from the
10 1.0_rc5-r4 build iso image...
11 It worked perfectly well on July 27th where I did the emerge rsync
12 and the bootstrap. The emerge system followed on July 30th and the
13 machine is up and running...
14 During the last week however I tried to install an identical machine
15 and failed multiple times (and I don't have super bombad racing!).
16 At first even the new August-based bootsrap file failed because
17 gettext-0.10.39 was required but it was not (yet) on ibiblio (this seems
18 fixed today however...). I then bootstrapped from the last July-based
19 file which worked but emerge system stopped with some error message
20 (can't quite remember what it was right now something with shutils I think).
21 Having done this two times I tried to Install from 'portage-20010730.tar.bz2'
22 which I had lying around from some earlier experiments. This compiled to the
23 end but left me in a system missing vital components like grub,
24 start-stop-demon etc.... The emerge on grub worked but it kept searching
25 for /boot/grub/stage1 and returned a "file not found" even after I put the
26 file there.(?) But after the reboot I only ended up in a maintenance console
27 due to the lacking sysVinit tools...
28 Today I again tried the classical approach which found an abrupt halt again
29 in the bootstrapping process. gettex was found OK this time but ./configure
30 complained about an unknown machine type "i685-pc-linux-gnu" ->
31 there is a typo in the new make.conf in the PIII/Athlon section...
32 but emerge system then stops complaining about missing makeinfo
33 somewhere along the way...
34 Am I doing something completely wrong or is portage in a state which does
35 not allow a complete build-install right now.
36 Could my USE flags be the culprit (I remove everything sound-related (no
37 card), gnome pcmcia-cs and only include perl, python, tcltk svga and tex
38 from the stable USE flags. And I use the PIII flags for CHOST/CFLAGS...
39
40 - autofs: in the startup script in the generation of the pidfile-name
41 the sed-command 's/\//./' should be changed to 's/\//./g' otherwise
42 mountpoints like /something/with/more/than/one/slash is causing problems
43 since just autofs.something.pid is created but the script then looks for
44 autofs.sometihng/with/more.... and fails to start.
45
46 - xinetd: in the standard configuration xinetd just puts three lines to the
47 syslog complaining about unknown "time-stream" and "time-dgram" and
48 no more services - exiting, just to be restarted by supervise and the cycle
49 starts again. Maybe xinetd shouldn't be started automatically since this
50 currently just fills the syslog.
51
52 - mozilla: the ebuild builds fine and I can start mozilla from a Konsole in
53 KDE and get some mozilla-messages (no direct error message) but then
54 ... nothing. I can just stop the process with ctrl-c and switch to
55 konqueror/operea/netscape...
56
57 That were the most important things I noticed in these past 10 days.
58 I am sorry if this is the wrong place to put this and if I'm rather vague
59 on some of the details but I am currently at home and don't have all
60 the details handy.
61
62 Personally I won't be around for the next 20 days and won't get any answers
63 until then.
64 But then I'm sure to try again since I think gentoo is quite promising!
65
66 regards
67
68 Tibor Rudas