From: Aron Griffis <aron.griffis@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] just a little feedback...
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:22:42
1 Hello Tibor,
2
3 As far as I can tell you haven't gotten many answers to these questions.
4 I'm new to Gentoo myself but I'll take a shot at some of them.
5
6 Tibor Rudas wrote: [Tue Aug 07 2001, 05:38:42PM EDT]
7 > - lately I am experiencing great difficulties in doing an install from the
8 > 1.0_rc5-r4 build iso image...
9 > It worked perfectly well on July 27th where I did the emerge rsync
10 > and the bootstrap. The emerge system followed on July 30th and the
11 > machine is up and running...
12 > During the last week however I tried to install an identical machine
13 > and failed multiple times (and I don't have super bombad racing!).
14 > At first even the new August-based bootsrap file failed because
15 > gettext-0.10.39 was required but it was not (yet) on ibiblio (this seems
16 > fixed today however...). I then bootstrapped from the last July-based
17 > file which worked but emerge system stopped with some error message
18 > (can't quite remember what it was right now something with shutils I think).
19 > Having done this two times I tried to Install from 'portage-20010730.tar.bz2'
20 > which I had lying around from some earlier experiments. This compiled to the
21 > end but left me in a system missing vital components like grub,
22 > start-stop-demon etc.... The emerge on grub worked but it kept searching
23 > for /boot/grub/stage1 and returned a "file not found" even after I put the
24 > file there.(?) But after the reboot I only ended up in a maintenance console
25 > due to the lacking sysVinit tools...
26
27 I don't know the answers to most of this (probably a lot gets
28 fixed/broken between bootstrap files). However I think I know the
29 answer to the grub problem.
30
31 First, note that by default Gentoo doesn't mount the /boot filesystem,
32 as a precaution to keep it safe from filesystem corruption. If you want
33 to to post-boot maintenance on it, you need to "mount /boot".
34
35 The next thing is that grub is searching _within_the_/boot_filesystem_
36 for /boot/grub/stage1. That means that, relative to the root
37 filesystem, it actually needs to be installed in /boot/boot/grub/stage1.
38 I personally think this could be tidier, but it works. :-)
39
40 > Today I again tried the classical approach which found an abrupt halt again
41 > in the bootstrapping process. gettex was found OK this time but ./configure
42 > complained about an unknown machine type "i685-pc-linux-gnu" ->
43 > there is a typo in the new make.conf in the PIII/Athlon section...
44 > but emerge system then stops complaining about missing makeinfo
45 > somewhere along the way...
46
47 I hope that somebody has fixed this. I didn't have this problem with
48 rc5-r4 on Athlon.
49
50 > Am I doing something completely wrong or is portage in a state which does
51 > not allow a complete build-install right now.
52
53 I don't know the answer to this either. Portage is definitely in
54 a continuing state of flux, but it's been usable for me.
55
56 > - autofs: in the startup script in the generation of the pidfile-name
57 > the sed-command 's/\//./' should be changed to 's/\//./g' otherwise
58 > mountpoints like /something/with/more/than/one/slash is causing problems
59 > since just autofs.something.pid is created but the script then looks for
60 > autofs.sometihng/with/more.... and fails to start.
61
62 This has not yet been fixed. I believe needs to be fixed by somebody on
63 the Server Team?
64
65 > - xinetd: in the standard configuration xinetd just puts three lines
66 > to the syslog complaining about unknown "time-stream" and "time-dgram"
67 > and no more services - exiting, just to be restarted by supervise and
68 > the cycle starts again. Maybe xinetd shouldn't be started
69 > automatically since this currently just fills the syslog.
70
71 The problem here is that xinetd is compiled with ipv6 support, but your
72 kernel doesn't include ipv6. There are two parts to solving this
73 problem:
74
75 (1) You need a new xinetd, which I haven't sent to gentoo-ebuild yet,
76 but I will sometime today. There are more problems in xinetd than
77 just what you mentioned, which hopefully the new ebuild will fix.
78
79 (2) If you want to build with ipv6 enabled, you will need to add it to
80 your USE variable. This is an as-of-yet undocumented use option,
81 but the new xinetd ebuild will pay attention to it.
82
83 > - mozilla: the ebuild builds fine and I can start mozilla from
84 > a Konsole in KDE and get some mozilla-messages (no direct error
85 > message) but then ... nothing. I can just stop the process with ctrl-c
86 > and switch to konqueror/operea/netscape...
87
88 My mozilla build doesn't work either. I'm of the opinion that there
89 should be an alternate mozilla ebuild that just uses the prebuilt
90 binaries (which work!) from mozilla.org. I may create this if the
91 Desktop Team doesn't get around to it first. ;-)
92
93 > That were the most important things I noticed in these past 10 days.
94 > I am sorry if this is the wrong place to put this and if I'm rather vague
95 > on some of the details but I am currently at home and don't have all
96 > the details handy.
97
98 This is the right place to post these kinds of concerns. Thanks for
99 being so detailed!
100
101 Aron