From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel team: please make up your mind
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:18:09
1 On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:32:38PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:27:36 -0700 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3 > | - development-sources are clean kernel.org kernels
4 >
5 > Since when? This is not what we were told when John helped us to move
6 > our sparc patchset from sparc-dev-sources to his shiny new kernel-2
7 > powered development-sources. We were given lengthy assurances that we
8 > would a) be able to keep our sparc patchset there without having to
9 > worry about it b) conflicting with the horridly broken gentoo- patchset
10 > and c) it being repeatedly broken by people doing "security bumps".
11 >
12 > We already know that c) hasn't been happening, and our requests for
13 > certain people to show more care when dealing with other archs have
14 > fallen upon deaf ears. Now we're being told that a) and b) are no longer
15 > any good either?
16
17 Ok, sorry about this. John went away for a long period of time, and I
18 took over the kernel stuff for him. I never was aware of this issue,
19 and by reading the metadata file, I thought this was the case (also see
20 the point about the vanilla kernel.)
21
22 So, after the sparc patches get moved into the g-d-s package, this
23 package will be a clean kernel.org kernel only. Is that ok with you?
24
25 > | - gentoo-dev-sources are the current 2.6 kernel trees for all
26 > | arches. There is no cesspool of patches in there, and it is
27 > | the kernel for the ppc64, amd64, x86, and a few other arches.
28 > | Making it the sparc kernel too is no big deal.
29 >
30 > Of course it's a big deal. We've already made our users change kernel
31 > sets once. Now we're going to have to go through all this again because
32 > the kernel team don't talk to each other? And you also expect us to deal
33 > with people who assume that anything labeled gentoo-dev-sources will
34 > include the gentoo- patchset?
35
36 Sent those people to me. I'm more than willing to fix that incorrect
37 assumption :)
38
39 > To be honest, given the history on this, I think the ideal solution for
40 > this would be an arch-dev-sources which was locked in cvs so that
41 > over-zealous x86-kernel and security people *couldn't* go and break our
42 > kernels *yet again*.
43
44 If you want to have a sparc-*-sources tree, fine with me. I'll never
45 touch it (even for security fixes and other good stuff that you could
46 get for free by using the g-d-s package...)
47
48 That's your call. I'm offering to help put sparc stuff into g-d-s. If
49 the sparc people don't want to do that for whatever reason, I'm also ok
50 with that, as long as they don't use the d-s kernel package either.
51
52 Fair enough?
53
54 thanks,