From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel team: please make up your mind
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:34:59
1 On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:27:36 -0700 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 | - development-sources are clean kernel.org kernels
3
4 Since when? This is not what we were told when John helped us to move
5 our sparc patchset from sparc-dev-sources to his shiny new kernel-2
6 powered development-sources. We were given lengthy assurances that we
7 would a) be able to keep our sparc patchset there without having to
8 worry about it b) conflicting with the horridly broken gentoo- patchset
9 and c) it being repeatedly broken by people doing "security bumps".
10
11 We already know that c) hasn't been happening, and our requests for
12 certain people to show more care when dealing with other archs have
13 fallen upon deaf ears. Now we're being told that a) and b) are no longer
14 any good either?
15
16 | - gentoo-dev-sources are the current 2.6 kernel trees for all
17 | arches. There is no cesspool of patches in there, and it is
18 | the kernel for the ppc64, amd64, x86, and a few other arches.
19 | Making it the sparc kernel too is no big deal.
20
21 Of course it's a big deal. We've already made our users change kernel
22 sets once. Now we're going to have to go through all this again because
23 the kernel team don't talk to each other? And you also expect us to deal
24 with people who assume that anything labeled gentoo-dev-sources will
25 include the gentoo- patchset?
26
27 | I am willing and able to help the sparc team (and any other arch) to
28 | make the g-d-s package work for them.
29
30 This is exactly what John told us when we switched from s-d-s to d-s.
31 What assurances do we have that we are not going to be screwed over yet
32 again the next time your team randomly decides to change policy without
33 informing anyone? We had these promises already about five kernel minor
34 versions ago.
35
36 To be honest, given the history on this, I think the ideal solution for
37 this would be an arch-dev-sources which was locked in cvs so that
38 over-zealous x86-kernel and security people *couldn't* go and break our
39 kernels *yet again*. I really don't like the implications that we don't
40 trust other developers on this, but having our kernel being broken three
41 times in two minor version versions is completely unacceptable.
44 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
45 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
46 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm