From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EJOBS variable for EAPI 5? (was: [RFC] Create a JOBS variable to replace -jX in MAKEOPTS)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:23:12
1 >>>>> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2
3 > Since not all the buildsystem we support use make for the actual
4 > build, and they don't necessarily support make-like options (-jX -s
5 > and so on), it would be nice to be able to express a JOBS variable
6 > that could be used for parallel build with any build systems.
7
8 > Right now there are ebuilds like openoffice or some scons-based
9 > ebuilds that parse MAKEOPTS and get out of that the number of jobs
10 > from the -j option, but this is a) suboptimal b) error-prone.
11
12 > One has to consider people might be using -l for parallel building
13 > too, for which reasons I'd be suggesting doing something like this to
14 > make the change transparent:
15
16 > - ebuilds using non-make build systems would use JOBS;
17 > - ebuilds using make builds systems would just use emake as usual;
18 > - Portage takes care, if JOBS is unset, to parse it out of MAKEOPTS;
19 > - if user has set JOBS but not MAKEOPTS this defaults to -j${JOBS};
20 > - if user has JOBS and MAKEOPTS, MAKEOPTS keeps the same (for -l).
21
22 > The result is that you can finally combine -l with parallel build on
23 > OpenOffice and other packages, with a fallback number of maximum jobs
24 > instead of using load-based decisions.
25
26 Coming back to this old topic [1]. Is there still consensus that we
27 should have such an EJOBS variable? (It shouldn't be called JOBS because
28 this name is too generic, see the old discussion.) Then we could add it
29 to EAPI 5.
30
31 Ulrich
32