From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: CVS alternatives -- meta-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:56:13
1 On Wednesday 28 January 2004 1:21 am, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > But if you have the impression, that it is not ready yet (although they are
3 > self-hosting for years), you could also take a look at Perforce
4 > (www.perforce.com). It is already in portage. Although it is commercial and
5 > closed source, it is free for OSS development and really mature even for
6 > big repos and available on all plattforms Gentoo is running. We used it in
7 > my last company for years. They have a really fast responding support and
8 > will answer any of your questions. They might be really interested to have
9 > an installation for Gentoo gaining also reputation. You may also contact
10 > the parrot developers and ask for their experiences. IMHO they are using
11 > Perforce for the new Perl development too.
12
13 I've been using Perforce for years, and have nothing but good things to say
14 about it. The only other commercial system that comes close is AccuRev.
15
16 I've discussed this before with Robin (robbat2) our CVS administrator, and he
17 made the excellent point that, for all its faults, CVS is proven to work with
18 trees as large as Portage.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Stu
22 --
23 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
24 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
25 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
26 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
27
28 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
29 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
30 --