From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: CVS alternatives -- meta-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:22:02
1 Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > While looking into arch I discovered meta-cvs
3 > (http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/mcvs.html), which is also not entirely
4 > ready for prime time (in terms of migrating portage), but it might be
5 > closer, and it might be _really_ nice for gentoo subprojects. Thanks to
6 > the work of mkennedy, we now have an mcvs ebuild, and I just added an
7 > mcvs patch to the latest ~x86 version of viewcvs.
8
9 What I do not like at all on such a solution is, that it is just another
10 compatibility layer on a system that is already full of compatibility
11 trade-offs. This was in fact the main reason for the subversion people to
12 start over with a new version control.
13
14 CVS lacks for a good branch support (ever tried to merge a branch twice ?),
15 a good role concept, renaming operations and atomicity (i.e. a commit with
16 multiple files spread over a directory tree is not guaranteed to work
17 atomar). Subversion addresses all this issues (at least they will someday
18 for the improved branching).
19
20 But if you have the impression, that it is not ready yet (although they are
21 self-hosting for years), you could also take a look at Perforce
22 (www.perforce.com). It is already in portage. Although it is commercial and
23 closed source, it is free for OSS development and really mature even for
24 big repos and available on all plattforms Gentoo is running. We used it in
25 my last company for years. They have a really fast responding support and
26 will answer any of your questions. They might be really interested to have
27 an installation for Gentoo gaining also reputation. You may also contact
28 the parrot developers and ask for their experiences. IMHO they are using
29 Perforce for the new Perl development too.
30
31 Regards,
32 Jörg
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list