From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: CVS alternatives -- meta-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:49:01
1 On Wednesday 28 January 2004 03:21, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > But if you have the impression, that it is not ready yet (although they are
3 > self-hosting for years), you could also take a look at Perforce
4 > (www.perforce.com). It is already in portage. Although it is commercial and
5 > closed source, it is free for OSS development [...]
6 Our social contract says "Gentoo Linux will never depend upon a piece of
7 software unless it conforms to... some license approved by the Open Source
8 Initiative (OSI.)".
9 Even if you read that to mean only what users have to use and not developers,
10 I for one very much don't want to have to use non-free software to develop
11 with Gentoo.
12
13 Besides, the Perforce terms are that you have to sign a license agreement to
14 get these free licenses, and the agreement is good for one year. Every year
15 they give you a new agreement to sign, and there are no rules on how they may
16 change these agreements. I'd not want to bind Gentoo to something like that.
19 Dan Armak
20 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
21 Matan, Israel
22 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
23 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951