From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: CVS alternatives -- meta-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:20:45
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 28 January 2004 03:21, Jörg Schaible wrote:
4 >> But if you have the impression, that it is not ready yet (although they
5 >> are self-hosting for years), you could also take a look at Perforce
6 >> (www.perforce.com). It is already in portage. Although it is commercial
7 >> and closed source, it is free for OSS development [...]
8 > Our social contract says "Gentoo Linux will never depend upon a piece of
9 > software unless it conforms to... some license approved by the Open Source
10 > Initiative (OSI.)".
11 > Even if you read that to mean only what users have to use and not
12 > developers, I for one very much don't want to have to use non-free
13 > software to develop with Gentoo.
14 >
15 > Besides, the Perforce terms are that you have to sign a license agreement
16 > to get these free licenses, and the agreement is good for one year. Every
17 > year they give you a new agreement to sign, and there are no rules on how
18 > they may change these agreements. I'd not want to bind Gentoo to something
19 > like that.
20
21 Well, my point was: Don't use software (MCVS) that has meanwhile more than
22 one compatibility wrappers to solve problems that are based in the
23 architecture of the underlaying system. While I know Perforce (and its
24 reliability) quite well and I know it is used in OSS development, I just
25 want at least have spent a comment on it. If you consider the usage terms
26 as evil, well, that's fine with me, but then take a really serious look at
27 the "second" best solution.
28
29 As mensioned Subversion is self-hosting since more than a year now and also
30 used in the wild. Its architecture is somewhat similar to Perforce and it
31 is made by people, that learned from developing CVS.
32
33 I also had a look at arch some time ago, but AFAICS it was a bunch of
34 scripts and small apps working together. And when I looked at the former
35 two main developers flaming each other I was really upset how someone could
36 even consider using this peace of software, since my imression was, that
37 none of them would be really capable of creating a community around their
38 code. And that's IMHO the main risk.
39
40 Regards,
41 Jörg