From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: CVS alternatives -- meta-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:05:01
1 * J?rg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de> [2004-01-28 10:30]:
2 > Dan Armak wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wednesday 28 January 2004 03:21, J?rg Schaible wrote:
5 > >> But if you have the impression, that it is not ready yet (although they
6 > >> are self-hosting for years), you could also take a look at Perforce
7 > >> (www.perforce.com). It is already in portage. Although it is commercial
8 > >> and closed source, it is free for OSS development [...]
9 > > Our social contract says "Gentoo Linux will never depend upon a piece of
10 > > software unless it conforms to... some license approved by the Open Source
11 > > Initiative (OSI.)".
12 > > Even if you read that to mean only what users have to use and not
13 > > developers, I for one very much don't want to have to use non-free
14 > > software to develop with Gentoo.
15 > >
16 > > Besides, the Perforce terms are that you have to sign a license agreement
17 > > to get these free licenses, and the agreement is good for one year. Every
18 > > year they give you a new agreement to sign, and there are no rules on how
19 > > they may change these agreements. I'd not want to bind Gentoo to something
20 > > like that.
21 >
22 > Well, my point was: Don't use software (MCVS) that has meanwhile more than
23 > one compatibility wrappers to solve problems that are based in the
24 > architecture of the underlaying system. While I know Perforce (and its
25 > reliability) quite well and I know it is used in OSS development, I just
26 > want at least have spent a comment on it. If you consider the usage terms
27 > as evil, well, that's fine with me, but then take a really serious look at
28 > the "second" best solution.
29 >
30 > As mensioned Subversion is self-hosting since more than a year now and also
31 > used in the wild. Its architecture is somewhat similar to Perforce and it
32 > is made by people, that learned from developing CVS.
33 >
34 > I also had a look at arch some time ago, but AFAICS it was a bunch of
35 > scripts and small apps working together. And when I looked at the former
36 > two main developers flaming each other I was really upset how someone could
37 > even consider using this peace of software, since my imression was, that
38 > none of them would be really capable of creating a community around their
39 > code. And that's IMHO the main risk.
40 >
41 > Regards,
42 > J?rg
45 The latest revision of arch is tla which is written in C.
46
47 -r