From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:47:14
1 On 7/12/07, Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o> wrote:
2 > All-
3 >
4 > We're going to change the -dev mailing list from completely open to
5 > where only devs can post, but any dev could moderate a non-dev post.
6 > devs who moderate in bad posts will be subject to moderation
7 > themselves. in addition the gentoo-project list will be created to take
8 over what -dev frequently becomes.
9 > there is no requirement to be on this new list.
10
11 This was discussed in June's council meeting, then brought back up at
12 today's council meeting, and slotted for voting in next months meeting. I do
13 not think one could consider it a knee jerk reaction when there is so much
14 time between conception, discussion, and voting.
15
16 Having been active in those meetings maybe this will clarify it some for
17 others... this is what I derived of it:
18 The -core mailing list is for information too sensitive to be sent to the
19 public. Does this information stay confidential until it's appropriate
20 release time, no not always, but it is based on a sound principle so the
21 list stays.
22
23 The -dev mailing list would be the list for development discussion. The
24 reason it does not replace -core is because it would still be open to be
25 viewed by the public.
26 Many devs have stated that they do not wish to read -dev presently due to
27 the quantity of off topic emails, or at least those that are not productive.
28 These devs would be able to continue to read -dev and reduce the volume of
29 email to wade through to only those pertinent to the topic at hand.
30 Non-devs would still subscribe and post, but those posts must first be
31 approved by ANY developer. The method of contact has not been
32 documented/discussed, one could presume IRC or email or even that one of the
33 hundreds of developers might be active at that moment and decide to release
34 that post. An additional method discussed was to have all non-dev emails on
35 a timeout, pick a number of hours, and then the email if not moderated would
36 be released. (non-dev sends his email, time period expires and no one booted
37 it, so the email rolls through)
38
39 The -project mailing list would be the place for the unmoderated and
40 potentially off topic correspondence. I don't think anyone is married to the
41 name. It also is a required list for a dev to join.
42
43 The moderation of -dev would be done by any developer who saw fit to release
44 the email sent from a non-dev.
45 The release of "bad emails" would be addressed by devrel. What makes an
46 email "bad" would be decided based on the principles of the Code of Conduct.
47 See http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml
48
49 Hope this helps.
50
51 Kind regards,
52 Christina Fullam
53 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | GWN Author
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list