From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uppercase characters in package names
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 18:28:44
1 >>>>> On Fri, 2 Dec 2016, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > The devmanual states:
4 > The name section should contain only lowercase non-accented letters,
5 > the digits 0-9, hyphens, underscores and plus characters. Uppercase
6 > characters are strongly discouraged, but technically valid.
7
8 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
11 > Why are uppercase characters strongly discouraged?
12
13 > Wouldn't it make sense to follow upstream's naming convention?
14
15 No, because even for the most common packages it would be hard to
16 guess what the actual convention is. For example, is it GCC (used on
17 its web page and in documentation) or gcc (name of the command and
18 displayed by gcc --version)?
19
20 If we allow uppercase, then should we also allow two packages in the
21 tree whose names differ only in character case?
22
23 Ulrich