From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uppercase characters in package names
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 18:42:32
1 On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 2 Dec 2016, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >
4 >> The devmanual states:
5 >> The name section should contain only lowercase non-accented letters,
6 >> the digits 0-9, hyphens, underscores and plus characters. Uppercase
7 >> characters are strongly discouraged, but technically valid.
8 >
9 >> https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
12 >> Why are uppercase characters strongly discouraged?
13 >
14 >> Wouldn't it make sense to follow upstream's naming convention?
15 >
16 > No, because even for the most common packages it would be hard to
17 > guess what the actual convention is. For example, is it GCC (used on
18 > its web page and in documentation) or gcc (name of the command and
19 > displayed by gcc --version)?
20
21 As a developer I would tend to match the tarball naming to minimize
22 the amount of customization needed in SRC_URI and avoid having to
23 redefine S.
24
25 > If we allow uppercase, then should we also allow two packages in the
26 > tree whose names differ only in character case?
27
28 Do we prohibit this currently?
29
30 Anyway, this seems like a pretty unlikely thing to have happen.