From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Server hardaware give away (misc archs)
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 22:55:22
1 On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 08:25:17AM -0700, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Obviously there can be a balance. If the hardware is Foundation owned
3 For the developers that haven't been around a long time, I'd like to
4 bring up what happened when zwelch forked Zynot from Gentoo.
5 zwelch personally owned several systems that were hosted at OSL, for
6 Gentoo development use. The fork was not amicable, and he took the
7 systems with him.
8
9 What has been done since then, is that the Foundation generally owns the
10 assets it pays for. Some of the assets even have a 'Property of Gentoo
11 Foundation' sticker on it. If a developer still has Foundation assets in
12 their possession when they leave Gentoo, and those assets still have
13 meaningful value (it could be dead or of no further use), the Foundation
14 will pay to ship them back to another developer or somewhere useful to
15 the Foundation.
16
17 > On the other hand, if the costs are reasonably low there might not be
18 > much risk in making some small payments to cover specific activities
19 > that are likely to benefit Gentoo when the person receiving the
20 > payments already has a history of doing work for Gentoo. We print out
21 > stickers and CDs and hand those out at conferences and we don't ask
22 > what the recipients do with them. Not every expenditure has to be
23 > 100% airtight.
24 The Foundation has already covered embedded systems and parts for
25 developers. Here's a quick snippet of the past bugs covering those, for
26 cases where the hardware does NOT live at OSL:
27 98733(chriswhite, video card),
28 255274(armin76, parts for sh embedded system),
29 284517(darkside, ppc embedded system),
30 343975(darkside, hdd for arm system)
31 373241(mattst88, parts for mips system)
32 417399(shipping hardware from darkside to blueness)
33 474774(mattst88, parts for alpha system)
36 Robin Hugh Johnson
37 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer
38 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
39 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
40 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136