From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Server hardaware give away (misc archs)
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 15:25:25
1 On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Johnson Steward <i@××××××××.moe> wrote:
2 > Well, I guess the owner of the machines may want them to be under personal
3 > possession, be taken care of personally and, hopefully, extend the love he
4 > has with them even though he had to part with them. Sentiment towards old
5 > friends, you know :)
8 The obvious issue is that the Foundation could spend a lot of money on
9 shipping/parts/etc for something like this and then the person who
10 owns the device could decide the next day to not use it for Gentoo.
11
12 Obviously there can be a balance. If the hardware is Foundation owned
13 and hosted by Infra then it seems pretty obvious that Gentoo should
14 just foot the bills (and can of course solicit donations to help with
15 this). This is basically what already happens with a lot of Infra's
16 gear, though some of that is also donated so that somebody else is
17 generously footing the bills. The Foundation has a planned budget for
18 these kinds of expenditures and it is largely administered by Infra
19 (we're not waiting for Trustee meetings to go replacing failed RAID
20 drives and such). Pretty much any serious organization handles
21 routine spending in this way.
22
23 On the other hand, if the costs are reasonably low there might not be
24 much risk in making some small payments to cover specific activities
25 that are likely to benefit Gentoo when the person receiving the
26 payments already has a history of doing work for Gentoo. We print out
27 stickers and CDs and hand those out at conferences and we don't ask
28 what the recipients do with them. Not every expenditure has to be
29 100% airtight.
30
31 I just wouldn't expect the Foundation to pay somebody $2k to buy
32 hardware for what amounts to their own personal use.
33
34 In any case, as was already done you should just submit a bug and ask,
35 and the trustees can figure out where to draw the line.
38 Rich