From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: ssuominen@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 14:19:34
1 On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:28:30 +0200
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > It would be very helpful if INSTALL_MASK could be overriden from an
5 > ebuild, ...
6
7 What is the intended goal? Can you give an example?
8
9 Ebuilds can already clean out their own image during install; as for
10 installing an INSTALL_MASK file, that doesn't make it actually
11 removes those files from the system which would mean that re-emerging
12 is necessary to make it happen. Unless we build introduce some post
13 install task that evaluates INSTALL_MASK and removes _everything_.
14
15 > ... if user hasn't set otherwise.
16 >
17 > So it could be configured like USE_ORDER which is
18 > "env:pkg:conf:defaults:pkginternal:repo:env.d"
19 > So INSTALL_MASK_ORDER like "ebuild:${user's own INSTALL_MASK}"
20
21 That sounds like unstable behavior, example scenario:
22
23 1. User has INSTALL_MASK unset.
24 2. User installs packages with it unset.
25 3. User installs your package, the ebuild INSTALL_MASK set.
26 4. User installs packages with the ebuild INSTALL_MASK set.
27 5. User sets INSTALL_MASK.
28 6. User installs packages with his/her INSTALL_MASK set.
29
30 The paths listed in the ebuild INSTALL_MASK are only masked in (4).
31
32 > This would be very helpful in preventing people from shooting themself
33 > in the foot
34
35 What do we try to prevent here? How would it prevent them from doing so?
38 With kind regards,
39
40 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
41 Gentoo Developer
42
43 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
44 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
45 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D