From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PROPOSAL] Menu system for all gentoo wm's.
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:01:41
1 On Thursday 29 May 2003 21:08, Svyatogor wrote:
2 > Ok, waiting for your criticism ;)
3
4 I've only skimmed over your proposal so far. btw I didn't see a description of
5 how you'll actually make all the WMs aware of the menu. Do you want to
6 autogenerate, from the central menu tree, a custom-format menu tree for every
7 installed WM?
8
9 Anyway, what about the freedesktop.org standard for .desktop files? It has
10 some very nice features such as multiple categories per item,
11 multilpe-language descriptions, etc. More importantly, both kde and gnome
12 will use that standard in their next releases (maybe gnome already does, not
13 sure). So why don't we build on top of that? Other people in other distros,
14 as well as the developers of various packages and of WMs other than kde and
15 gnome, will surely be adding support for it in the future. Why do we want yet
16 another custom system? How is it better than what freedesktop.org has (with
17 perhaps portage-centric tools written to make things easier)?
20 Dan Armak
21 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
22 Matan, Israel
23 Public GPG key: http://cvs.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key