From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, licenses@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Guidance on distributed patented software
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 06:39:02
1 On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 11:30 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > >>>>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2021, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >
5 > > The devmanual discusses licensing as a core concept
6 > > (https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/licenses/index.html)
7 > > but does not cover patents. My understanding is that we:
8 >
9 > > - set RESTRICT=bindist when we are unable to redistribute binaries
10 > > (e.g. due to a license or patent restriction.)
11 > > - set RESTRICT=mirror when we are unable to redistribute source code
12 > > (e.g. due to a license of patent restriction.)
13 >
14 > IANAL, but IIUC patents only apply to programs that can run on a
15 > computer. This is the case for binaries but not for source code.
16 >
17 > In other words, we don't need mirror restriction for source tarballs
18 > because of patents.
19 >
20 > > - Sometimes, we remove patent encumbered source code from packages
21 > > (e.g. with USE=bindist) so that we can build redistributable binaries
22 > > with the patented features removed.
23 >
24 > We do, but normally this doesn't prevent us from distributing the source
25 > code.
26
27 Great, I'll send a patch to devmanual to add details about how we
28 treat patented software in Gentoo (the original goal of the thread; I
29 don't care what happens to openssl as much ;p)
30
31 -A
34 > > Could we add some text to the license concepts covering patents? It
35 > > seems to have been omitted?
36 > > Is my understanding of how we manage patented software correct?